One of the greatest advantages of modern technology is the possibility to shop without leaving home. Purchasing goods and services with a single click enables you as a customer to streamline the buying process, but this is only a minuscule part of the entire sales path. Successfully managing the back-end of an online store is vital for completing an order. In fact, what stands behind driving the company forward is a powerful ecommerce software solution.
What is Ecommerce software
At its simplest form, ecommerce software supports a business in selling goods and services online. It enables its users to effortlessly manage significant aspects which work to fulfil an order, such as adding products, processing payments, handling shipments and others. Depending on the character of a company and, more importantly, on its needs, you can add various features which make operating an online store easy, even for a non-tech person.
Ecommerce software is a unique solution which joins together both front- and back-office systems into one and enables integration with various features of different software, such as a CRM which is necessary for managing product content and a SCM which allows you to manage inventory.
Types of Ecommerce software
The ever-growing need for such a solution has resulted in developing various versions of Ecommerce software you can deploy. The two general classifications are:
- On-premise – the older and more traditional version, which requires local installation on your computer. There is no need for Internet connection, but you are responsible for managing all aspects of maintenance yourself,
- SaaS (Software as a Service) – a modern solution enabled by cloud computing services. You can access the software via any web browser, which means you can access the solution from anywhere at any time, the only thing you need is an Internet connection.
Key features of Ecommerce software
Depending on what you sell, you can choose from various features in order to have an ideal software designed and developed especially for you. As mentioned above, ecommerce software often joins together features typical of other business software solutions, however, the most vital functionalities every ecommerce software should be equipped with are:
- Product management – which allows you to easily and comfortably manage product pages, including their layout and content. You can segregate pages into different categories to make it easier for customers to find what they are looking for, as well as add and delete multiple pages with a single click,
- Inventory management - with a clear view of your inventory, you are able to become a trustworthy and reliable seller. The feature allows you to better manage your stock availability and thus to always provide your customers with what they order thanks to automatically gathered and updated data which enables you to replenish your supplies on time,
- Order management – a dashboard view of all orders and their current statuses is a key feature which speeds up all sales procedures. From processing an order through managing payments and shipping to providing post-purchase customer service, order management enables you to successfully handle all of the orders,
- Customer account – Ecommerce software can automate your work, but it can also simplify the buying journey. Offering your customers the ability to create their own account and thus gain access to their shopping card and purchase history from where they can reorder the same products with a single click allows you to improve your customer service,
- Analytics – having a clear insight into the behaviours of your customers is inevitable when your goal is to meet their needs. Accurate reports can provide you with information concerning things such as abandoned shopping carts, best purchased products, wish lists, payment methods, etc. which allows you to identify current trends and thus increase revenue.
Benefits of Ecommerce software
Automation which follows implementing ecommerce software allows you to increase efficiency and boost productivity in your company. The solution also enables you to:
- Sell 24/7 – since your online store is not limited by any business hours or other restrictions, your customers can buy what they need at any time of the day and you remain updated without the need to constantly monitor the dashboard,
- Expand customer reach – physical store location is another thing which may be stopping your sales. Luckily, an online store allows you to sell worldwide and reach the widest audience you ever had,
- Save money – even though brick and mortar still dominate the market, it may often slow your business down. Hosting and managing an online store is incomparably cheaper than running a physical store and hiring shop assistants. What is more, you can sell as many products as you wish as there are no storage space limitations,
- Enhance customer experience – ensuring your customers can buy goods without leaving home and then choose from various shipping and payments methods makes shopping easy and comfortable. You are also able to offer more products and thus attract more customers.
TO SUM UP
Implementing an Ecommerce software solution makes running an online store easy and efficient. Not only does it allow both you and your customers to enjoy shopping, it also enables business growth, regardless of products or services you wish to sell. The only thing you need to do is to decide which features you require.